WhatsApp is a great app. It keeps you close to your family and friends and lets you message them whenever you feel like it. But in hindsight, it contains a lot of your personal data and there are people who would like to swoop into that. That’s right. There are plenty of ways in which you may be spied upon. But we are not talking about hardcore hacking here. More like some minor party tricks. Anyway, here are some ways in which you can avoid being spied upon.
1. Spying through WhatsApp web
There is always a chance that some people that you know might be utilizing WhatsApp web to snoop around your chats. Least to say this is not a fault of the WhatsApp web. It is a pretty useful feature with plenty of pros. But all the spy needs is a few seconds of your unlocked phone and the website on a laptop or PC. That’s all it takes.
They will now be able to see everything you are doing. Your phone will act normal and the spy even get to download stuff and view statuses.
This is how you can get out of such a bind:
- Go to Whatsapp on your phone.
- Open the menu by tapping the three vertical dots.
- You will see a WhatsApp Web option among other options. Tap on it.
- If there are sessions there that you didn’t know about then your Account is being spied.
- Don’t worry. Just log out of all the sessions that are open and they will lose access.
Also, keep in mind to always log out of a session once you yourself have used the WhatsApp web.
2. Spying through another phone
In this method, the spy would be activating your account in another device. Just like before all they need is a little time with your unlocked WhatsApp account to do the deed. There are provisions to register your WhatsApp number in some other device. All the spy would require is your cell phone to get the verification code sent by WhatsApp.
During this time your account on your phone will show a message like This phone could not be verified.
All you need to do is to re-verify your number to regain your access.
But here is how you prevent it from ever happening:
- Go to WhatsApp on your phone.
- Open the menu.
- Choose the Settings options.
- Select Account.
- Now choose the Enable 2 Step-verification option.
- Follow the instructions to input a security code of your choice. Now, no one will be able to use register your account in another device without knowing this code.
3. Spying on your WhatsApp DP
There will always be creeps you would be just interested in just staring at your DP many times a day. There are plenty of apps available that help you view the people who are checking out your DP over and over again. Here is a couple of them.
1. WhatsApp – Who Viewed Me
This is a third-party app that you can use to find out who all have been viewing your DP for the last 24 hours. But the app is not available in the Google Play Store.
You can use it by following the steps below:
- First, go to your Settings and then choose the Security option.
- Under Device Administration, enable Unknown Sources.
- Now download the app on your device using any browser. You will be asked to download other apps along with it. Just do so and uninstall them later.
- Install the app and open it.
- Choose Scan.
- You will soon see the ones who have been spying on you.
2. Who Viewed My WhatsApp Profile
Yet another Third-party app that serves the same purpose.
Use it by following these steps:
- Download the app on your device using a browser and install it.
- Once you open the app it will ask you for permission to access your contacts. Grant it permission.
- Now you can see who all have been viewing your DP.
Though there are methods in which people can spy on your WhatsApp account, there are ways to deal with it. The article helps you with the same. All the best.